The Department of Music at The College of New Jersey offers the Bachelor of Music degree in Music Performance, the Bachelor of Music degree in Music Education, and the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree. The music faculty is comprised of noted scholars and artist teachers who have distinguished themselves as active members of the American Symphony, Brooklyn Philharmonic, Harrisburg Symphony, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, New York City Opera Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, and Philadelphia Orchestra, among others.
Where Excellence is the Standard for Training Creative Musicians in Performance and Music Education
The Music Department inspires students to be creative and skillful musician educators and performers. Guided by the philosophy that performing, creating, teaching and thinking about music are inseparable, our undergraduate programs are designed with the goal of preparing students to be well-rounded musicians. To this aim, we offer:
- The skills and knowledge required for effective music teaching and their practical application in a variety of educational settings.
- Individualized mentorship by a faculty of outstanding performing artists and scholars.
- Challenging opportunities in large ensembles, chamber ensembles and theatrical performances.
- Specialized instruction in preparation for solo performances on a primary instrument or voice.
- A rigorous curriculum in theoretical, historical and cultural studies, including western and non-western, art, folk and popular traditions.
- Open access to and coursework in music technology, composition and audio production tools.
- Interdisciplinary experiences across the arts and sciences.
For those students majoring in other areas, the Department, through active, committed involvement to the College’s liberal learning program, increases awareness of music’s impact on society, past and present. It provides unparalleled opportunities for students, faculty, staff, and the community to be active participants in the making and/or attendance of musical performances of all types.
Our Music Department is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), and its programs are approved by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).