Office of Admissions
The Office of Admissions is responsible for receiving your application materials, forwarding your application information to the Department of Music, updating your application status based on your audition performance, and notifying you of your application decision.
Department of Music
The Department of Music receives your application information from the Office of Admissions. An audition is scheduled and the results of that audition are forwarded to the Office of Admissions. Specific information on auditioning can be found below.
Your application to the Department of Music at The College of New Jersey will follow this process:
- Application materials received in the Office of Admissions
- Application information forwarded to the Department of Music
- Audition date scheduled by the Department of Music
- Audition completed and results forwarded to the Office of Admissions
- Office of Admissions will notify you of your application decision
Students who wish to audition for the music major should:
2012 – 2013 Audition Dates:
- November 14th 2012 (Wednesday) – Transfer and Early Decision
- January 23rd 2013 (Wednesday) - Excluding Saxophone
- January 30th 2013 (Wednesday) - Excluding Saxophone and Percussion
- February 9th 2013 (Saturday) - Excluding Flute and Piano
- February 18th 2013 (Monday) - Excluding Saxophone
Audition dates are scheduled and confirmed by the Department of Music after your application has been forwarded to us by the Office of Admissions. Please check that your application to The College of New Jersey is complete.
Advanced Placement Tests
During the orientation program in June, students who have been accepted into the College as music majors will be given the option of taking advanced placement tests in Keyboard Skills and in Musicianship. Please consult the following documents for further information about the skills to be assessed in each of these tests:
Special Instructions for Vocalists
Taped or CD accompaniment will NOT be permitted under any circumstances. Candidates are encouraged to rehearse with and bring their own accompanist to the audition. If this is not possible, an accompanist will be provided for vocal auditions. Please be aware that because of time constraints, rehearsal time will not be available with this accompanist. There will be enough time to discuss tempo and musical markings only.
If the candidate plans to use the accompanist provided by TCNJ, the candidate must make this request and must provide the following information to the Music Department no later than five business days before his/her audition:
- Titles and composer names for musical selections (not the music itself unless specifically requested to do so)
- Title of collection or edition
- Publisher name of music to be sung
- Key of piece (please use letter key, not voice part or “medium-high”)
The candidate may email this information to Dr. Hickman at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to her at 609.637.5182.
Special Instructions for Pianists
Pianists who will audition for the music major are asked to submit a list of the standard works that they have performed and/or studied during the past three years to Dr. Kanamaru at email@example.com or fax it to her at 609.637.5182. This list should be submitted at the time of application or by four weeks prior to the audition date, whichever comes later. Please include your audition date if it has been scheduled by that time.
Sample Repertoire List (This is meant to serve as a model only; the format is not limited to this particular format.)
Special Note for Pianists & Guitarists
Pianists and Guitarists are required to audition on a secondary instrument as well. Please consult the Audition Requirements Handbook for further information about this requirement.